Saturday, November 28, 2015

Kaya

So I am on a baking spree and I just went on and on and on and on.... you get the idea. I have been watching a lot of baking shows and topping my favourite list is Anna Olson's 'Bake with Anna Olson' and I bookmarked so many recipes I want to try. This interest me because kaya is so local and Anna Olson was making this on her show! So I gave it a try since she made it seem so easy and it was indeed very easy. Here's the recipe.


(Makes 2 small jars of kaya jam)

150g caster sugar
135g gula melaka (cut into small pieces)
200 ml of coconut milk
5 large eggs
3 pandan leaves, tied into knot (I used about 6 because I love the aroma from it)

1. Whisk the coconut milk briefly to ensure there are no lumps.


2. Add the eggs, gula melaka and caster sugar and whisk to combine.


3. Add the pandan leaves and heat over a pot of simmering water.


4. For the first 20 minutes, you only need to whisk regularly but not continuously. Keep a close watch on the mixture though, you don't want to end up with a lumpy mixture.


5. After the mixture thickens slightly, you want to whisk continuously for about 20 more minutes. When the whisk is lifted, the thickened mixture will run down back into the bowl in 'ribbons'.


6. Take the mixture off the heat and pour into prepared jars and leave to cool to room temperature with a cling wrap touching the surface of the jam. I held a sift over the jar to make the jam extra smooth. Chill in fridge till ready to use.



The kaya will really nice, but the next time I try this again, I may add 1 more egg to make it thicker. Otherwise, it is great on bread and for this jam, I baked ciabatta. I know, I know, I promise to stop baking for a while after this. I hope.....

No comments:

Post a Comment