Monday, October 5, 2015

Orange Soufflé in Orange Cups

And I did it! Orange soufflé in Orange cups! Who needs ramekins? And there's no need to wash either, eat and throw away the cups, unless you want to eat the skin of course. :) 

I must confess though, the first bake was a disaster, the soufflé collapsed in the oven, probably because I opened the oven to adjust the cups, so I tried again today. This time, of the 2, one spilled over the cup and thankfully, the other stayed in the cup and remained nicely risen and I had enough time to photograph it! I'll bake these for a nice, light and awe worthy dessert when I have guests over soon.

Here's the recipe, adapted from zencancook. 



(Makes 2 Orange soufflé Cups and 1 in a ramekin) 

2 large oranges
1 egg separated 
22g sugar, 1 tbsp for egg white and extra for sprinkling
1 tbsp corn flour 

To prepare the Orange cups and ramekins to hold any extra batter

1. Cut the top of the oranges, leaving about 2/3 of the Orange to form the cups and a tiny bit off the bottom, so the cups can sit. Do not cut too much off the bottom or the batter will seep through the bottom when baking. 

2. Zest the top of the oranges and juice the rest and save the juice and zest for later.

3. Remove the flesh from the Orange cups, I used my fingers to pull the flesh off because I do not have grapefruit knife that the original recipe suggests. 

4. Sprinkle the Orange cups with some sugar. 

5. For the ramekins, butter the ramekins and coat the surface with sugar. 

For the Orange soufflé 

6. Preheat the oven at 200 degrees. Whisk the yolk, sugar and corn starch till smooth. 



7. Add the Orange juice and whisk to combine.



8. Heat the batter over medium heat in a saucepan till the mixture thickens. Leave to cool. 



9. Whisk the egg white till frothy, add a tablespoon of sugar and beat till stiff peak. It was only an egg white so I used a hand whisk and exercised my arms. No need for mixer. 



10. Fold the stiff egg white into the orange batter. 





11. Pour the batter into prepared cups and ramekins and level to top with a knife.

12. Bake in preheated oven of 200 degrees for about 12-15 min until the soufflé puffed up puffy and the top is lightly brown. 

13. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately. 




Souffles are supposed to collapse anyway, so serve or photograph quickly before they collapse. I like that they are served in orange skin and there is no additional washing after the meal. Nice!



 分担的痛苦是减半的痛苦,分享的喜乐是加倍的喜乐。

No comments:

Post a Comment