Saturday, June 20, 2015

Banana Star Surprise Cake

This has been hiding in my draft since March and since I'm on holiday and there is nothing to post, I'll post this. It's easy to bake and the star surprise is just an optional step. My chocolate stars are ready! I freezed them overnight and they are ready to go into the middle of my banana cake, I hope they turn out fine! :) there are many recipes for banana cake and in the search for the perfect banana cake, I have baked with quite a few recipes. Here's one which is think is really not bad.


(Makes a standard loaf tin)

For the chocolate stars

Chocolate Pound Cake


For the banana cake

200g all purpose flour
135g sugar
135g unsalted butter at room temperature
90g whipping cream
3 large bananas mashed
1 large banana (sliced to decorate)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
0.5 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt


1. Line the loaf tin with baking paper and preheat the oven at 180 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and set aside.

2. Beat butter and sugar together till light and fluffy.


3. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat till smooth.


4. Add the mashed bananas and beat to combine.


5. Add a third of the flour and fold to combine, then add half the whipping cream and fold. Then add half of the remaining flour, fold and then the rest of the whipping cream folding to combine. Add the rest of the flour and fold to combine.




6. Pour the batter into the loaf tins and decorate with sliced bananas. Bake at 180 degrees for 45 minutes. Insert a skewer into the middle of the cake and if the skewer comes out clean, your cake is ready.

7. Cool on a cooling rack.

*I hid my chocolate stars in the middle of the cake so that there will be a surprise when the cake is cut. I'll try with more complicated shapes if this is successful.*




I'm very intrigued with the stars center and I think I'll be experimenting with more challenging cake center. Heart shape, maybe?

By the way, my niece gave a rating of 8 out of 10 for the end product, not bad I think.



Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. (James 3:13 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment